1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matt's back! With a new Celica...

Discussion in 'Your 4th Gen beauty' started by MattC, Oct 16, 2016.

  1. vic dat

    vic dat Well-Known Member

    Good try Matt
    It always sucks to get so far into a project that there's really no turning back. At least you had a back- up.
    My back-up is a new one 'cause the ones they sell at the big box stores here in SoCal are just really crappy rebuilds with a lifetime warranty.
    I just discovered that O'Reilleys even offered an 80 amp version.
    It's an easy 45 min job on the g motor...

    Vic
     
  2. MattC

    MattC Well-Known Member Donated!

    Small update. I can't believe its been three months since I did any work to this thing, where does the time go??

    Anyway, so after much googling I couldn't find a local on-line supplier for the alternator bearing I need. I took the old one down to a local bearing supply shop, and after measuring it and poking at the keyboard on his computer for a bit he says to me "sorry mate, I think you're s**t out of luck. What's it from?"

    "Denso alternator"

    "Theres your problem" he says, "No-one rebuilds alternators any more"

    o_Oo_O:(

    So I've relented and ordered one from the US, paid more for shipping than the bearing itself cost :rolleyes:. The joys of living on the other side of the planet. I'm still in front compared to buying a brand new Denso alt though, silver linings and all that...

    I've also just ordered a bunch of suspension parts to fix the woeful wheel alignment and the 4wd ride height, and will be replacing pretty much the entire front and rear ends on the the car when they arrive in the next few weeks. Stay tuned.
     
  3. vic dat

    vic dat Well-Known Member

    image.jpg If there's any chance of scoring a 70 amper I think you'll be pleased w/ the performance.... My old 50 struggled with
     
  4. MattC

    MattC Well-Known Member Donated!

    Not sure what the amperage on the one that I've got is. Didn't seem to have any trouble turning the motor over though, it just got noisy.
     
  5. MattC

    MattC Well-Known Member Donated!

    New toys that have arrived in the mail over the last week or so:

    Poly bushes and new ball joints for the front end

    [​IMG]

    Complete T3 rear end

    [​IMG]

    BC Racing coilovers

    [​IMG]

    Rebuilding the front lower control arms this weekend and will try to get this lot installed next weekend.
     
  6. MattC

    MattC Well-Known Member Donated!

    Todays project - prep and paint LCA's. Yeah yeah, I was going to do it last weekend, don't judge me :D. A whole lot of degreasing, sanding, and two coats of POR-15 and heres how they came out. Not the worlds best finish (I brushed the POR on and I didn't need or want to sand them right back to bare metal first), but good enough for my purposes.

    [​IMG]
     
  7. MattC

    MattC Well-Known Member Donated!

    Got started on the LCA rebuild tonight and pressed the new front bushings in. I followed the Superpro instructional video below and used a bench vice. The dude in the video makes it look super easy and does the job in about a minute, I found it was more like half an hour of swearing while trying to line the bushings up with the control arm and hold it all in place while winding the vice in followed by more swearing and searching for bushings on the floor after they slipped and sprang out of the vice :mad::mad:. Anyway, got them together in the end. Also greased my new lower ball joints, but thats boring :D

     
  8. MattC

    MattC Well-Known Member Donated!

    I intended to install my coilovers today, didn't get a single bolt undone before packing it in for the day though o_O I jacked the car up, took the wheels off, stuck my head under the front guard..... and promptly remembered that the brake lines go through a tab welded to the strut. Which means I have to disconnect the brake lines and drain the fluid before I can take the struts out. And then refill the system and bleed the brakes later. And I don't have enough brake fluid handy for that.

    So after briefly contemplating (a) putting the wheels back on, driving to the shop to buy brake fluid, coming back and starting again, or (b) just cutting the damn tabs off every strut (which might only have temporarily solved my problem since I'd still need to get the brake lines installed on the coilovers), I ended up going with (c) and saying f**k it I'll wait until I've got a whole weekend free and try again. (I've got to work tomorrow)
     
  9. vic dat

    vic dat Well-Known Member

    image.jpg My fronts are shot... I'm not relishing the thought of tearin apart my suspension but thirty years is a pretty good run. There's no free play but I think that various fluid leaks have taken their toll on one particular bush ...
     
  10. MattC

    MattC Well-Known Member Donated!

    Its not too hard, as long as you have 17mm and 19mm sockets, a bench vice and some spare time, anyone with opposable thumbs can do it

    To get the old front bushes out of the arm i just cut one end off with a box cutter and then punched them through and out the other end. Interestingly, both were broken in half when they came out.
     
  11. vic dat

    vic dat Well-Known Member

    Yeah.. you make things seem easy haha
     
  12. MattC

    MattC Well-Known Member Donated!

    hahahaha I usually forget to include the bits of the story about stuffing it up at least twice before the job is finally finished :confused::D
     

Share This Page